You will produce a well-written research paper of 750-1000 words about a person who, during the Holocaust, demonstrated moral courage.
Rules and regulations are available at http://www.ihene.org/essay-contest-1/
1. Click on the Essay Prep and Research tab under the Tribute to the Rescuers tab
2. Scroll down to the bottom of the page where you will see “Past Essay Contest Winners.”
3. Read at least one of those essays to get an idea of what type of paper you are expected to produce.
4. After you have read at least one essay, you will begin finding a subject about whom you can write your paper
5. If you want to write about a rescuer from the Holocaust, you can start by searching here: http://www.yadvashem.org/righteous/stories. All of the people featured on this site will be non-Jews who helped Jews during the Holocaust.
6. If none of those stories interest you, you can look at lists of names of rescuers from each country here: http://www.yadvashem.org/righteous/statistics
7. If you are interested in reading about Jews who helped other Jews or fought the Nazis during the Holocaust, you can search here: http://www.jewishpartisans.org/
8. If you do not want to write about a rescuer from the Holocaust, you will have to do some thinking before you ask for assistance from your teacher:
Questions to ask yourself: A. Is there a particular country that interests you? B. Are you interested in a particular issue such as women’s rights, gay rights, religious persecution, access to education, the environment, etc.? C. Are you hoping to write about someone historical or modern? D. Do you want to write about a group or individual? Male or female?
When you have answers to these questions, talk to your teacher.
9. When you find an article you are interested in using, copy and paste it into a Microsoft Word file and save it in your home drive. Make sure you save the URL (web address) in your file as well.
You must have at least two reputable sources for this essay.
10. Once you have chosen the subject of your paper, please go to the Essay Prep and Research tab and fill out the Pre-Writing Reflection sheet. After you have completed that, save it in your home drive AND print a copy for me.
1. You must use at least two scholarly resources. You may not use Wikipedia or people’s personal websites. Scholarly resources are those associated with academic or news organizations. Their information is more reliable because they fact-check to maintain their own integrity and reputations.
2. You will need to find information about the person’s biography as well as what he/she did to demonstrate moral courage.
Omaha Public Schools does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, disability, age, genetic information, citizenship status, or economic status in its programs, activities and employment and provides equal access to the Boy Scouts and other designated youth groups. The following individual has been designated to address inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies: Superintendent of Schools, 3215 Cuming Street, Omaha, NE 68131 (531-299-9822).
Las Escuelas Públicas de Omaha no discriminan basados en la raza, color, origen nacional, religión, sexo, estado civil, orientación sexual, discapacidad , edad, información genética, estado de ciudadanía, o estado económico, en sus programas, actividades y empleo, y provee acceso equitativo a los “Boy Scouts” y a otros grupos juveniles designados. La siguiente persona ha sido designada para atender estas inquietudes referentes a las pólizas de no discriminación: El Superintendente de las Escuelas, 3215 Cuming Street, Omaha, NE 68131 (531-299-9822).